Whenever you are creating a new website for your business or service, you need to do on-site or on-page SEO for a greater reach to your customer or user. But completing all the on-site SEO for a new website is a tricky one. You can easily miss a step & wonder, why your site is not ranking good enough on the SERP.
For your convenience, here is the on-site SEO checklist for a new website. It would be easy to follow these steps to complete your brand new sites’ SEO checkup.
What is On-Site SEO?
On-page or On-site SEO, at its most basic level, is the practice of optimizing your site’s pages and posts. That includes both content and under-the-hood code.
Why You Need On-Site SEO?
The main motto of the on-site SEO is being on the first page of SERP (Search Engine Result Page). And it will be a game changer when you rank for the right keywords. Read our another article to know more on basic SEO tips.
On-Site SEO Checklist
- Check the Meta Title & Description if it is well written with Keywords.
- Check the Canonical Link.
- Check the Meta Robots Tag along with robots.txt file.
- Check the Social Tags.
- Check the chronology of the Headings.
- Check the Google Structure Data.
- Check the Marketing Tools code (Google & Bing Webmaster, Analytics, Tag Manager etc.).
- Check the site loading speed with Google Page Speed Insight.
- Check the ‘hreflang’ code if applicable.
- Check your site with some free SEO site checker.
SEO Suggestion for Best Practise
- Start Title Tag with the Right Keyword
- Add Modifiers to your Title
- Wrap your Title in an <h1> Tag
- Leverage SEO-friendly URL
- Use your keyword in the page’s meta description
- Drop your Main Keyword in First 100 Words
- Include your keyword (and variations) in the images Alt Tag
- Wrap Subheadings in <h2> Tags
- Also use <h3> & other Tags to provide hierarchy for the page
- Dazzle your Page with Multimedia
- Post Long Content if Possible
- Use LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) Keywords in Every Post
- Use Social Sharing Buttons in every Post
- Use a responsive Web Design
- Always optimize your site Images
- Use Relevant High-value Outbound Links
- Use Relevant Internal Linking
- Boost Site Speed using CDN (Content Delivery Network)
- Boost Dwell Time by Writing Long, Engaging Content
- Include structured data markup in web content
- Make sure that your fonts are easy to read & not too small
- Optimize the page you need visitors to reach; Make it no more than 3 clicks from the home page
Free SEO Tools:
Google Marketing tools like Analytics, Search Console, My Business etc. are the very basic & free tools for every Digital Marketer. But there are many other free SEO tools out there for different use. Here are some of our favorite seo tools or browser add-ons list-
- Mozbar add-on for checking DA, PA & Link highlighting.
- Keywords Everywhere add-on for checking keyword search volume for specific region.
- SEO Minion add-on for checking Meta Titles & Tags as well as headings, images & more.
- Similar Web add-on for checking the sites global rank, monthly visitor count etc.
- Lighthouse add-on for generating site checkup report.
- Nightwatch add-on for stimulating SEO search.
- SEOquake add-on for auditing your site.
- Tag Assistant add-on for checking Google tags in your site.
- Facebook pixel helper and Twitter pixel helper add-ons are for checking their respective analytics tag in your site.
- Woorank add-on provides an in-depth SEO report for any given website.
- Redirect Path add-on will show you all the redirects from the URL you entered to your final URL.
- Link Grabber add-on allows you to extracts links from a webpage and display them.
- Page Load Time add-on measures the loading time of your webpage and displays it in the toolbar.
All these steps are basics and followed by any Marketing agency or Web Development company.
SEO is like a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time. The longer you put off optimizing your site, the longer it will be until you see results. No way around it. So keep checking your site & update it according to priority need. Keep on off-site seo marketing along with the on-site seo check. You will slowly but surely get success.